Stuffed animals are great for when you feel lonely, but they can also help to bring your room together. Here are some tips on how to display them in your bedroom. One of the best parts about having your own bedroom is decorating it however you want, and there are endless possibilities for how to do that.
If you’re like me, one of the first things you probably thought about when coming up with ideas was creating a fun stuffed animal display on your wall. There are many ways to go about doing this; some may be easier than others, but I’m going to show you my favorite way!
These instructions can even work for other objects besides just stuffed animals. So if you’ve ever wondered how to create an interesting stuffed animal display in your room, read on!
What are Stuffed Animals?
Stuffed animals can be any type of stuffed animal (and more), and they’re usually used as toys for children. They’re referred to as “stuffed” because the exterior is made from filled fabric, such as cotton or polyester.
These types of stuffed animals are typically made with embroidered eyes and noses so kids don’t get scared when looking at them. Some people think stuffed animals are just for little ones, but I’ve found some great ideas online to display them in your room, too!
Carefully Remove Eyes and Nose if Needed
If you ever find yourself wanting to alter a toy that has embroidery on the face, try carefully removing the eyes and nose first if possible. There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to complete this step successfully, but it can help if you’re looking for ideas on how to display stuffed animals in your room. I had a tiger that no longer had its nose and eyes when I decided to use it as part of my decoration, so here’s what I did:
Remove the Crochet Ball from Inside the Stuffed Animal
Try using a pair of tweezers and grab the loose thread and slowly pull until it’s free from the fabric. Do not tug too hard because some stitches might rip open while trying to remove them. Once the nose is out, take a closer look at where you want to put it back into. If you think that thread will hold it in place again, then go ahead and stitch it in. Otherwise, try using fabric glue to secure it instead.
Once the nose is reattached if necessary, sew (or use fabric glue) to attach the eyes back into place. Make sure that you’re putting them in the right spot because this will show up when looking closely at them! If your stuffed animal has a mouth without any embroidery on it already, simply cut out a small rectangle of black felt and glue (or stitch) it onto the mouth horizontally. You can make whatever shape or size mouth you want; everyone has their own preference!
Put any other pieces back into place too that are removable. For example, my stuffed tiger’s tail was sewed on separately so I just reattached it. As a final touch, you can also use fabric glue to attach any loose pieces back onto your stuffed animal so they stay in place as well as possible (i.e., if the tail falls off easily).
How to Display Stuffed Animals in your Room
Now that your stuffed animal has all of its eyes and nose back into place, take a look at where else you could put them around the house. If you want to display them on your wall as I do, here’s how:
Step 1: Make sure you’ve picked out a cute and interesting location where you’d like to display your stuffed animals. It doesn’t matter what color or type of wall it is; as long as there isn’t anything hanging up already, you should be good!
I would recommend doing this project on a wall that already has something else hanging up. For example, I accidentally put one of my stuffed animals too close to the other ones and it looked pretty bad!
Step 2: Go ahead and sketch out the outline of what you want your display to look like onto the wall. You can make it as simple or complex as possible; there are no limits here! It all depends on how much time you have before having to leave your house, how many stuffed animals you have, etc.
Once finished with sketching, measure the length of lines using a pencil first. Make sure to erase any unnecessary marks after measuring so it won’t be noticeable later on when actually putting everything into place.
Step 3: Prepare all of your stuffed animals and other decor pieces that you’re going to use for this project. For example, I used a mirror in the corner and also attached paper clips onto some embroidery hoop art.
Step 4: If you need to make any cuts on the stuffed animal where the outline is, go right ahead! For my tiger, it looked like its tail was cut off so I decided to make it longer by attaching some yarn to resemble fur. Since there’s no color guide for this step, try using paint or a permanent marker instead if desired.
Step 5: Once you have all of the pieces ready, start hanging them up by sticking fabric tape onto the back of the first. You can get certain colors of these at the dollar store usually! Then, layer them onto the tape just like you would with normal push-pins.
However, make sure to press down both ends of fabric tape to avoid it separating from itself during the process. For example, if you want to use three stuffed animals for this display but only have two pieces of fabric tape, simply place one on top of the other and press down both sides!
This is also where using a cute patterned or colored piece of fabric will come in handy; it’ll look prettier too once everything’s up !!
Step 6: Once everything is hung up properly (and has dried), check out how it looks in real life! My tiger looked kind of creepy before I used embroidery thread to add its eyes and nose back on, but after the makeover, it’s much more livable. You should notice how your stuffed animal looks better than ever because even though you manually put everything in place, no one else will be able to tell.
Another Way to Display Stuffed Animals in your Room:
Before we start, you’re going to need a few materials: scissors, a sewing machine, a ruler or measuring tape, something to put the finished product on (a wall hook would be best), and of course, your stuffed animals. You can probably buy all of these things at your local craft store.
Now that you know what tools you’ll be using for this task, it’s time to discuss the steps!
- Measure how high up you want your display to go on your wall. Draw where you want it to end with chalk or pencil; make sure it ends in an area large enough to fit whatever will support each of your displays (hooks, nails, etc.).
- Cut a piece of ribbon that’s one inch shorter than your height measurement (in my case, cut it to be 11 inches long).
- At the top of where you want the display to start (the end not touching the ground), make two marks on either side; make sure they’re an inch and a half away from the top.
- Use some kind of fastener (a safety pin would work great for this) to attach one end of your ribbon to one of these marks you just made, and wrap the rest around until only about an inch is left between them. Fasten it on that mark too, and then knot both ends together before cutting off any excess ribbon so no one will trip and fall.
Wait for the display to dry before doing anything else!
- You’ll be connecting your stuffed animal to the ribbon by making a slipknot around it, so make sure you have plenty of space between where one end is fastened down and where it’s wrapped all the way around. If you don’t, cut off some extra ribbon until there’s enough room for that loop to fit through without straining or cutting into your animal at all.
- Once all the excess ribbon has been cut off, start using your fastener to attach an old shirt or sock (something similar in size) to one end of the looped piece of ribbon; this will keep it from slipping out when you attach the stuffed animal.
- Now we’re going to attach the looped end of our fastened ribbon to the top of your wall display; this is where you’ll hook your stuffed animals in later. You can use a safety pin or paper clip, or just knot it and cut off any excess so that no one will get caught on it when moving around your room (which would also make it more difficult for anyone else who wants to put up their own display!)
Now your stuffed animal is ready to be displayed! Just grab an old wire hanger, slipknot the hooked end of your ribbon onto it, and hang it wherever you want. From there, all you need to do is add some plush pals and start stacking away!
To summarize, if you are looking for ways to display your stuffed animals in a new way this season or just want some inspiration on how to organize the ones that have been piling up over time, take these tips into consideration. The best part is that they’re all easy and inexpensive ideas so no matter what your budget looks like there will be something for everyone!